Monday, March 28, 2011

Red, Red Wine!


OK you know you love the UB40 song...if you deny it you're only lying to yourself! ;)


Recently I had the pleasure of visiting local winery town, Temecula, for a little vino consumption with great friends, my college sorority sisters. Although I've lived only an hour from Temecula for over 20 years, this was my first time touring the wineries.


We had SO much fun!




Here's a little recap of the wineries we visited, along with my review of each:



5 tastings for $12

Definitely the most popular, thus the most crowded. They are known for their Almond Champagne which you've probably had before. And if not, head over to BevMo to pick up a bottle because it's delicious! While the winery is huge and has a little something for everyone, there were way too many people so we decided to do our tastings and move on to the next winery.







5 tastings for $10 + a souvenir glass

This was my favorite winery as far as setting and service. The gentleman that helped us was extremely friendly - which always makes for a great experience. It was also the least crowded, which I prefer. It's no fun fighting crowds to get a taste. We decided to eat lunch here, at Carol's Restaurant, the setting is a bit eclectic but the meal was pretty good.





6 tastings for $12 + a souvenir glass

Originally owned and operated by the same man famous for the Callaway golf company, this winery had the most to offer. We started with a free winery tour which was really informational and enjoyable! A few of us even bought wine and my friend joined the wine club. I got the 2008 Special Selection Dolcetto which the label describes as: Aromas of dried cranberry, cherry and touches of light toast. Soft vanilla on the palate with vibrant cherry, red currants, French vanilla and cola.




Fun fact that I learned - wines with more alcohol (reds) have thinner legs that run down the glass faster.


If you live in Southern California, I highly suggest you visit the Temecula wineries. It's a great time to be had by all!


16 comments:

Meghan said...

Eeee! I love wineries! It looks like you had such a blast!

Anonymous said...

i love that song from ub40, even though i'm a white wine gal! i love going wine tasting at wineries!

Jessica said...

Looks like fun and the food looks yummy too!!

bananas. said...

ooh my cousin got married in one of those temecula wineries. i forget the name but the wine was delish!

how fun! and yes i do love me some UB40 red red wine.

Tasha said...

I will have the UB40 song in my head all day now! Lol! What a fun outing to tour the wineries! I would love to go on a wine tour someday!
P.S. Your boots are so cute! I love them!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Looks like you all had a blast! When we lived in the Sacramento Ca. area we would go to Napa and it was so much fun.By the way great pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Such fun! I need to go see visit there. I always forget that there are wineries there. xxxx

Josie said...

This sounds like so much fun, and it looks like you're having a blast!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

love jenny xoxo said...

Looks like a blast!! I wanna visit CA soon... MN sucks right now!

XOXO

Audrey Allure said...

I've always wanted to visit one - looked like a lot of fun!

Claire Kiefer said...

I've never done Temecula wineries!! Clearly needs to be on my next so-cal agenda. Looks fun and you look so cute!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

Oh my gosh! How FUN! And that salad looks amazing. YUMMMMM.

Also, Red Red Wine is my mom's favorite song in the world...it always makes me think of being on a cruise ship with my parents...she requested that song about a million times in 7 days. But I have to admit, it is pretty darn catchy. ;)

Mimi said...

that looks fun! i've been to temecula, but not to the wineries (not 21 yet, haha). ;)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

Diana Mieczan said...

That looks and sounds like so much fun!!! I love visiting wineries. Have a lovely day, my dear
Kisses

Ps: I’m hosting an amazing GIVEAWAY today! You can win 2 adorable tea towels and a mug!

Valerie said...

What a fun day! I love wine tasting and have actually never been to Temecula either. What's wrong with me?? I need to go soon. I love all the pics you posted!

Jules said...

That’s one of my favorite songs from the 80’s! You gotta love UB40. You are always off doing something fun and exciting. I need to get back into the swing of things and do the same. I love visiting local vineyards and trying new wines. We have a wine trail here where you can go from one to the next and they’re all in about a 15 mile radius. I need a shuttle if I ever do that again.

I’ve never had the Almond Champagne and will definitely have to look for it. That is so great that Baily had a restaurant at the vineyard. We really don’t have any like that. I love the pic of you ladies at Callaway and the wine you got sounds so good. The little leg fact that you learned I found out about this morning (no lie) on the Today show of all places.

This sounds like a blast!